RE: INCLEMENT WEATHER - SCHOOL CLOSURE
When schools are closed or buses cancelled due to extreme weather conditions, details will be announced on the Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board website (www.hwcdsb.ca) and Hamilton-Wentwort Student Transportation Services website (www.hamiltonschoolbus.ca/public_v2/index.aspx) as well as the following Hamilton and area media outlets:
Energy 95.3 FM / Y108 FM / 900 CHML
AM 1150 / K-Lite 102.9 FM
CKPC 1380 AM / Jewel 92.1 FM
CHCH TV Morning Live (Channel 11)
CBC Hamilton www.cbc.ca/hamilton
The Hamilton Spectator www.thespec.com
Schools closures and bus cancellations will be posted on the HWCDSB and HWSTS websites and communicated to the local media by 7:00 a.m., whenever possible. If schools close early, the information will be posted on the HWCDSB and HWSTS websites (and social media channels) and sent to the media for dissemination. In addition, each school will initiate its own procedures for notifying parents of early closures due to inclement weather.
We ask parents/guardians to take notice of the following guidelines:
• In the event of impending severe weather conditions, parents should consider the safety of their children in deciding whether or not to send them to school;
• Parents should stay tuned to Hamilton and area radio stations for weather reports and school board announcements;
• Parents who, in spite of bus cancellation, drive their children to school, should ensure that their children can get into the school and will be required to make the necessary arrangements for the safe return home of their children at the end of the day or in the event of an early closure. Buses which do not run in the morning will not run for the rest of the day;
• Phone calls to the school during severe weather conditions are to be made only in the case of extreme emergency;
• Parents shall be requested to provide the school with the name and telephone number of a neighbour alternate, (someone who lives in close proximity to the home) who would be willing to act on their behalf in the event that they cannot be reached.
Thank you for your assistance.
Director of Education